If you are a cancer survivor and a candidate for genetic testing (based on your personal or family history of disease), here are the top five reasons you should consider genetic testing:
- Genetic testing could help you reduce your risk for developing a new cancer in the future.
- Genetic testing may help your family members (e.g., children, siblings, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, etc.) reduce their risks of ever developing cancer.
- Genetic counseling and testing may help you and your physicians choose the best personalized medicine plan for you in the future, should you need it.
- Knowing your genetic test results could help you make the best treatment plan (e.g., surgery, radiation, chemoprevention) in the future, should you need it.
- Genetic counseling and testing could help you figure out why you developed cancer.