Top 14 Reasons to Consider Vaccinating Your Teenage Son for HPV
1. The Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) is common – most sexually-active adults who have not been vaccinated will acquire HPV at some time in their lives.
2. Virgins can get HPV.
3. Condoms don’t completely prevent HPV transmission.
4. The best time to vaccinate against HPV is before a person is sexually active.
5. HPV can cause cancer of the penis.
6. HPV can cause cancer of the mouth, throat and tongue.
7. HPV can cause cancer of the tonsils.
8. HPV can cause cancer of the anus.
9. HPV can cause genital warts.
10. You can’t see who has HPV and most people who have HPV don’t know it.
11. There is no test for HPV and it is not picked up by standard STD screening.
12. The HPV vaccine has been well-tested by the FDA and CDC and is considered safe for healthy boys.
13. You don’t have to be promiscuous to get HPV.
14. This vaccine will help him prevent the spread of HPV, and perhaps the development of cancer, to his future partner.
Photo by Logan Smith, via Flickr